Friday, February 19, 2010

Short review of my Apple MacBook Pro & Magic Mouse

I have my lovely MacBook Pro for almost a month now and although I am sure that there are still many features to discover and learn, I am going to write a short review.

It was back in 2000, when I first saw the iBook and I immediately wanted one. Since I wasn't much into computers back then, I tried to find out what was so special about Apple computers, but at the end, due to the fact that I needed to run engineering software, I didn't buy it. I could have used an emulator, but a solution like this wasn't adequate for running CAD & FEA software.

Anyway, since then I bought three laptops and one desktop pc, all with Windows OS, but in the meantime, since I couldn't stand the awful OS, I was also using Linux for my daily tasks. Now, since I am not working with FEA software anymore (bad choices in life...), I finally got my first Apple product, a top-spec 13.3" MacBook Pro. Needless to say that I couldn't resist buying the Magic Mouse as well.

When I first opened the box I was simply amazed. We are talking about serious quality here. Everything appears to be well thought out and simplicity is something you immediately start appreciating. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I have summarized below the pros and cons.

Apple MacBook Pro 13.3" (mid-2009 edition, 2.53GHz MB991LL/A)

+
built-in stereo speakers
LED-backlit widescreen
backlit keyboard
aluminium unibody enclosure
amazing small perforations created by laser drill
battery life + adaptive charging
battery charge indicator even when the laptop is switched off
MagSafe power port (meaning that the power connector is held in place magnetically) 
performance (it's fast!!!)
spotlight search functionality
cover flow view in Finder
dock appearance and magnification 
ease of program installation
you press the "shut down" button and after 2-3 seconds it's dead
... and many more amazing features that cannot be described... you have to use a Mac to understand

-
rather strange management of the photos by iPhoto. Picasa works much better for me
monthly installments on my credit card 

Apple Magic Mouse

+ 
multi-touch surface feels so good
scroll in any direction with one finger
functionality using MagicPrefs, such as customised taps etc.
"slow down when you're moving slow" kind of thing

-
rather small in size for my hand
mouse pointer speed was seriously slow, but using MouseZoom things got better
no carrying pouch
occasionally it loses connectivity *

* according to an article, this is related to the design of the MacBook Pro: "Unfortunately, the problem seems to be endemic to the design of the Mac Pro itself. It appears that the Mac Pro�s Bluetooth antenna is hidden on the underbelly of the machine, under a plastic cover. According to Mac site HardMac, this causes the Mac Pro to have much spottier Bluetooth reception than other computers with better placed Bluetooth antennas, and the Magic Mouse is particularly fussy about it."


Verdict
It worths every penny!!!

What's next?
An iPad of course, in order to replace my iPaq ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Popular Posts

free counters